The sun is finally here! And as much as we love the summer, nothing is quite as intimidating as baring all. For many of us, even if we’ve been working out and eating well, the idea of taking off our cardigan or putting on a pair of shorts is still terrifying! But don’t worry, we’re here to help you feel fabulous this summer and spend an amazing time! So here are 7 easy steps to get ready for the bikini season!
1. Get rid of the “bloat” feeling. Drink a lot of water and eat plenty of celery, watermelon, asparagus and other fresh foods with high-water content. Avoid alcohol as well as fizzy drinks or anything else that contains gas-creating bubbles. When eating, take small bites and chew carefully with your mouth closed, to avoid taking in excess air that will cause gas bubbles to form. Stay away from salt and heavily salted foods such as chips and pizza: high sodium makes us retain water. Eat several small portions of lean protein, fruits and vegetables throughout the day rather than 3 big meals – it can make our waistline look bigger.
2. Exfoliate. Beautiful skin is a summertime must-have, especially since we’re going to reveal more of it. Exfoliation is the key for a soft, glowing, youthful looking skin as it helps you regenerate, eliminate dead cells and impurities that can block the pores. All you need is a shower, an exfoliating product (body scrub, loofah sponge, brush…) and a body lotion to keep your skin moisturised. Not only will regular exfoliating make your skin feel as soft as a baby, but it will also improve your circulation, and keep it clear and radiant. What’s not to like?
3. Get a little tan. That’s a fact; everybody looks slimmer and healthier with a tan. It helps show muscle definition and covers up skin flaws such as stretch marks and cellulite. Since we all know the dangers of exposure to the sun, a good alternative can be to use self-tanners. It’s nice to have your body transforming into a more golden brown tan… however be careful not to push it and end up looking like a Halloween pumpkin, it’s not really in vogue this season!
4. Tighten up. We all know exercising is good for many reasons: you can see more muscle definition once your circulation is going, you can sweat out any excess water you’re hanging on to. What’s more, physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals that leave you feeling happier and more relaxed, boosting your mood and energy levels. You might walk with a bit more confidence around that pool. So get up and do your workout before you hit the beach.
5. Find the right clothes. The key to feel and look fabulous (especially in light summer clothes!) is finding what flatters your body type. To get an idea, you should try on several styles with different cuts and colour, and see what flatters your shape the most. For the dresses, try column, wrap, empire, shift… Same goes for swimming suits: try halter, triangle, push up… and then pair them with different bottoms: low rise, high rise, boy short, skirt… It might take some time to try on everything, but I assure you the result will definitely be better than ordering from a catalogue.
6. Move the focus. If you don’t have Jennifer Anniston’s flat abs, or if you don’t like your little muffin tops, move the attention elsewhere. For instance, if you have long healthy hair, show it off. If you have nice white teeth, keep smiling. If you’ve got big beautiful eyes, put on some waterproof mascara… Just take a few minutes to find what you like the most about yourself, and flaunt it to make yourself feel beautiful. People will look more at it than at the parts you’re not happy about.
7. Confidence is a girl’s best accessory. When all is said and done, feeling comfortable in your own skin -even if it has a few extra pounds- is the most attractive attribute you can have. It might seem tough, but it is possible! Start by being kind to yourself; In the mirror, look at all the beautiful things, not the parts you don’t like; Turn your “can’ts” into “cans”; Surround yourself with positive people who make you feel good about yourself. And remember, you are beautiful just the way you are, right now.