Tofu in Breadcrumbs Recipe
Our resident vegetarian Clementine has shared her favourite Tofu recipe. Tofu is full of plant based protein and vitamins and this meal makes for a light, healthy dinner.
Breaded Tofu with Olive pesto
200g Firm Tofu
2 Tbsp Light Soya Sauce
100g Plan Flour
1 Tbsp Mustard
Bag of rocket
1 garlic clove (small and to taste)
50g Basil (big handful)
2 Tbsp small capers (brine drained and washed)
50g Black olives
Pinch of sugar
Black pepper (do NOT add salt)
4 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
50g parmesan (not necessary but tastes better)
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Press firmly on tofu with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Cut Tofu block into 4 equal parts. Pour soya sauce over tofu and sit to marinate.
- Set out breading station with 1 bowl of flour, 1 bowl with whisked egg and mustard (add a splash of water) and one with parmesan and breadcrumbs.
- Dip tofu first into flour then into egg mixture and finally into breadcrumbs, ensuring each 4 pieces are fully coated. Place pieces on a baking tray which has been lined with coconut oil or tin foil for 10 minutes or until crispy.
- In a food processor add the garlic, capers, olives, sugar, oil and pepper – remember DO NOT add salt the brine from both the olives and capers makes the pesto salty enough. If you are feeling indulgent add parmesan to the processor.
- Once the Tofu is crispy and cooled down, shred the 4 blocks into strips – about 3 strips per piece.
- Place on a bed of rocket and drizzle with olive pesto. Serve warm or cold!