Pea and mint soup - a diet plan favourite!
Worried about calories, weight loss, your diet and how to get delicious veggies into meals? Look no further...
This is a real favourite of Jane's and it's perfect when you want a really flavoursome but light soup! Clean eating at its best - Jane loves the fresh flavours in this delicious soup.
1tbsp olive oil
1 small knob of butter, no bigger than the tip of your thumb
1 bunch of spring onions, roughly chopped
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
850ml vegetable or chicken stock
400g frozen peas of (900g fresh peas in the pod, shelled)
4tsp chopped fresh mint leaves, plus extra mint leaves to serve
1tsp fresh lemon or lime juice
150ml half-fat crème fraîche, plus extra to serve sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the spring onions, potato and garlic, and gently fry for a few minutes, without colouring.
- Add the stock.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potato is very soft.
- Add the peas and simmer for five minutes.
- Stir in the mint and lemon juice.
- Cool slightly, then blend using a liquidiser or food processor until smooth.
- Stir in the crème fresh, then taste and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve the soup cold, cool the soup and chill it – you may need to add more stock to the soup before serving it , as it will thicken as it cools.
- To serve hot, return the soup to the rinsed- out pan and reheat gently, without boiling. Top each bowl with a fresh mint leaf and 1tsp of crème fraîche.