Shimmering hair & glowing skin for the Festive season
Our top tips on how to increase Christmas favourites in the diet this season for shimmering results
TOP TIP ONE
Munch on mixed nuts this winter to help ensure glowing skin
- If attending Christmas parties this season, try opting for mixed nuts rather than crisps and sweets.
- Adding in some pine nuts with your Brussel sprouts is a delicious way to pimp your greens.
Nuts are a great source of selenium which can neutralise free radicals and other skin damaging compounds.
Omega 3 in walnuts may help reduce inflammation to ensure sparkling skin for the winter months.
TOP TIP TWO
Greens, greens, greens
· Try and add as many greens as possible to your diet over the Christmas period, there are so many to choose from including spinach, broccoli and of course brussel sprouts. Dark greens are packed with many vitamins such as Vitamin A, C, K and folate, minerals such as iron and calcium and they are also a great source of fibre.
Vitamin A can help keep skin healthy by stimulating fibroblasts, the cell responsible for developing tissue that keeps skin firm.
TOP TIP THREE
Rather than ditching your leftover turkey from Christmas day try making a vegetable and turkey soup;
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1.25 litres turkey or chicken stock
- 75g pearl barley
- leftover turkey meat
- fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat; add the carrots and celery and cook gently for about 5 minutes to soften. Add the stock, pearl barley and leftover turkey. Simmer for 20 - 25 minutes or until the barley is cooked. Stir in freshly chopped parsley, season to taste and serve.
The turkey will ensure a good dose of protein which is required for hair growth and the vegetables will give you a good helping of vitamins which can help strengthen hair follicles.
TOP TIP FOUR
Keep yourself and your skin hydrated over the Christmas period by following our top tips;
- For every glass of alcohol, have a glass of water
It hard to avoid a cheeky glass of alcohol during the festive months, however try and ensure you are getting your fill of water too! We always recommend at Jane Plan that you aim to drink 1.5 litres per day
- You could also try some Christmassy herbal teas such as cinnamon and orange, they are delicious and perfect for an evening by the fire