Winter Warming Spicy Swede and Pumpkin Soup
Delicious, warming and... easy!
With this recent cold spell, the Jane Plan team are having warming bowls of soup for lunch! This one is a firm favorite, full of autumnal vegatables and with a spicy kick that will warm you up right through winter. Plus pumpkin is full of Vitamin A, keeping your eyes in tip top condition throughout these long dark evenings. Even better, it's packed with fibre, keeping you full for longer- perfect when you're on a diet!
Serves 4 (or double and put some in the freezer!)
½ small swede, peeled and cubed
½ small pumpkin, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, sliced
2 sticks of celery, finely sliced
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp of curry powder
½ tsp ground cumin
1.25 litres of vegetable stock
142ml carton of crème fraiche
Fresh thyme leaves
Pepper and salt to season
How to cook:
1. Preheat the oven to 200 C/ gas mark 6
2. Place cubes of swede and pumpkin on a roasting tray and drizzle over 1 tbsp of olive oil, season.
3. Roast for 25-30 minutes or till golden brown. Turn occasionally.
4. Sweat the onion, carrots, celery and garlic in a large pan with the curry powder and ground cumin for 4-5 mins until softened.
5. Add the roasted swede and pumpkin to the pan, pour over the veg stock. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 20-30 mins.
6. Puree the soup in a food processor until smooth, pass through a sieve for an extra fine texture (if desired).
7. Transfer the soup to a clean saucepan and stir in the crème fraiche. Season with pepper and salt.
8. Serve in warm bowls and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and a sprig of thyme.