We're used to seeing the same food available all year round in the supermarkets. However, eating fruits and vegetables out of season can affect their quality and increase our carbon footprint.
Pop these vegetables on your September shopping list: - Aubergine
- Brussels Sprouts
- Butternut Squash
- Wild Mushrooms
Stuck for ideas? Check out our delicious recipes to add to your Jane Plan.
Carrot & Parsnip Mash
4 Carrots - peeled and chopped into chunks
4 Parsnips - peeled and chopped into chunks
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Herbs and spices of your choice
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil
- Add the carrot and parsnips and cook until tender
- Transfer the carrot and parsnips into a blender, add olive oil, salt, pepper and optional herbs and spices.
- Blend until it reaches a creamy texture
- Put a handful of ?orets in the food processor and process until chopped ?nely and evenly - so that it looks like grains of rice.
- Repeat with the remaining cauli?ower.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat, add the cauli?ower rice and cook for 5-10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper
Veggies of your choice - carrots, courgettes
Garlic - crushed
Onion - thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Add olive oil, garlic and onion to a pan on medium-high heat.
- Add veggie noodles and cook for 3-5 minutes or until al dente
- Prep-heat the oven to 200 degrees C
- Cut broccoli into small ?orets around the same size
- Mix olive oil, soy sauce and sesame seeds together
- Add broccoli to the bowl and toss in the mixture
- Place the broccoli on a banking sheet, on a tray and place in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes or until broccoli is slightly browned (May need to stirring halfway)
We hope some of these recipes will help you eat more seasonally. We are passionate about great tasting food and our commitment is to seek out the freshest and most wholesome ingredients for you to enjoy. Give us a call on 0203 489 4770 to find out more!